The St. Joseph's Healthcare Medical Grand Rounds held on February 17 focused on the topic: "Five things every internist should know about anticoagulants".
The objectives were to:
- Select an appropriate anticoagulant drug based on treatment indication and patient characteristics
- Describe ways to minimize the risk of bleeding on anticoagulant therapy
- Describe the indications and risks of thrombolysis for acute PE.
The Speaker was Dr. Siraj Mithoowani, Assistant Professor, Division of Hematology & Thromboembolism, Department of Medicine. He is a clinical hematologist at St. Joseph's Healthcare Hamilton specializing in benign hematology and venous thromboembolism. Dr. Mithoowani obtained his MD degree, and completed Internal Medicine and Hematology residency, as well as a clinical and research fellowship in Benign Hematology and Thromboembolism all at McMaster University. He became a full-time faculty member in the Department of Medicine in July 2020. His clinical and research interests are in venous thromboembolism, immune thrombocytopenia and health professions education.
- February 24 – New Recruit Series, Rheumatology - HHS Hosting
- March 3 – Chair’s Medical Grand Rounds
- March 10 – New Recruit Series, Neurology – HHS Hosting
- March 17 – Cancelled (March Break).
The presentation is now available on the Department of Medicine YouTube Channel.