Baptiste, S. (2001). Mentoring and supervision: Creating relationships for fostering professional development. Ottawa,
This workbook was used within the OTepp mentorship module and is
CAOT`s online mentorship module (Momentum) aims to assist occupational therapists
Momentum is built on the successes of the Occupational Therapy Examination and Practice Preparation (OTepp) project's mentorship module and follows the same format.
1. Making Connections: A New Model of Mentoring for International Trained Professionals. St. Michael’s Hospital, Toronto, ON.
2. Austin, Z. (2005): Mentorship and mitigation of culture shock: foreign‐trained pharmacists in Canada. Mentoring & Tutoring: Partnership in Learning.13(1),133-149
1. Ewing, R., Freeman, M., Barrie, S., Bell, A., O’Connor, D., Waugh, F., & Sykes, C. (2008). Building community in academic settings: The importance of flexibility in a structured mentoring program. Mentoring & Tutoring: Partnership in Learning. 16(3), 294-310.
The authors of this study state that flexibility, responsiveness
2. Heaton Shrestha, C., May, S., Edirishingha, P., Burke, L., & Linsey, T. (2009). From face-to-face to e-Mentoring: Does the “e” add any value for mentors? International Journal of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education. 20(2), 116-124.
This article shows that e-mentoring promotes accessible mentorships when time or distance limits participation. The benefits of face-to-face and e-mentorships are noted to be similar, though it is important to consider further the qualities of a good e-mentor since they may differ from the qualities necessary for effective face-to-face mentoring.
3. Mills, J. E., Francis, K. L., & Bonner, A. (2005). Mentoring, clinical supervision and
This article contains a table that nicely delineates the differences between mentoring, clinical supervision and preceptorship.
4. Ramani, S., Gruppen, L., & Krajic Kachur, E. (2006). Twelve tips for developing effective mentors. Medical Teacher. 28, 404-408.
This link provides a resource for the College of Occupational Therapists’ Mentoring Scheme. It is included in our reading list because of its detailed resource list of readings about mentorship.
5. Sangole, AP, Abreau, BC, & Stein, F. (2006). Mentoring review and reflections. Occupational Therapy in Health Care, 20(1), 1-16.
This article succinctly describes the characteristics of mentors and mentees (protégés).
6. Development and Implementation of a Mentorship Module - OTepp, 2012 CAOT Conference Poster