This animation introduces the concepts of bone remodelling and type 1 osteoporosis. The animation will first guide the audience through a basic overview of bone remodeling using the metaphor of a construction site. Furthermore, the animation will discuss the role of estrogen in type 1 osteoporosis and, finally, conclude with preventative measures.
- Explain why calcium is needed in blood plasma
- Define homeostasis and feedback loops
- Identify the main hormones involved in regulating blood-calcium levels; thyroid and parathyroid hormone
- Explain the cause and effect of thyroid and parathyroid hormone release
- Clarify the multiple roles of vitamin D in balancing blood-calcium levels
- Review the effects of calcium metabolism on osteoblast and osteoclast activity