Demystifying Medicine Video

In 2008, a viral shock headline surfaced, which described the death of a 20-year-old man who had died after eating pasta that had been left out for five days. An in-depth post-mortem examination of the man was published in the Journal of Clinical Microbiology, and it pointed to the large number of bacterial cells, specifically bacillus cereus, that were present in the body as the likely cause of death. In this video, we delve and demystify the mysterious circumstances surrounding the death of this young man, analyze the biological conditions behind his untimely passing, and answer the question: is it still safe to eat my leftovers?

[Please complete our feedback form]

  • McDowell, R. H., & Friedman, H. (2018). Bacillus cereus. In StatPearls [Internet]. StatPearls Publishing.
  • Naranjo, M., Denayer, S., Botteldoorn, N., Delbrassinne, L., Veys, J., Waegenaere, J., ... & Dierick, K. (2011). Sudden death of a young adult associated with Bacillus cereus food poisoning. Journal of clinical microbiology, 49(12), 4379-4381.

Accessibility for Ontarians With Disabilities Act (AODA)


The Faculty of Health Sciences is committed to providing a website that is accessible to the widest possible audience. If there is an accessibility issue with this website, please contact us at