Dr. Kim Jones speaks about the problems involved with the development of an implantable artificial kidney.
What could go wrong with an artificial kidney?
- Blood clots
- Risks due to blood thinners (anti-coagulants)
- Neutropenia or loss of platelets
- Acute inflammation around implant
- Poor integration or healing
- Fibrosis around implant
- Are all materials equally bad?
- How do cells identify a foreign material?
- What can we do to reduce problems?
- Is there hope for a successful artificial kidney?
- Must understand limiting factors and work with the biology